The aims and objectives of the Society (as set out in the Constitution):
- Consist of persons interested in the study of history, with particular reference to the historic town of Romford and its environs (the Municipal Borough of Romford, the Royal Liberty of Havering, the London Borough of Havering, the County of Essex, and East London).
- Encourage the preservation of local records, antiquities, objects of interest, and the historic environment.
- Promote the study of local history in all its aspects, by sponsoring lectures, encouraging research, publishing articles, and organising excursions to places of historical interest.
- Keep a permanent record of its activities.
- Co-operate with bodies with similar interests.