History of Epping Ongar Railway

Epping Ongar Railway GWR 4900 Class 4953 Pitchford Hall

Epping Ongar Railway GWR 4900 Class 4953 Pitchford Hall

We return from our summer break on 28 September with a talk on the History of Epping Ongar Railway by Rodger Green.

2015 marks the 150th anniversary of the Epping Ongar Railway, which began in 1865 with the building of a single-track extension to the Great Eastern Railway between Loughton and Ongar. Increased usage on the line later led to the building of double track between Loughton and Epping. 

Reduced passenger numbers led to a reduced service from the mid 1960s and eventual closure by London Transport on 30 September 1994. The Epping Ongar Railway is now run as Essex’s Longest Heritage Railway.

If you’d like to hear more about the history of the railway, please do join us. Non-members are very welcome. The Society meets in myplace in Harold Hill – for information about how to find us, click here.

Rodger Green will also be selling copies of a book produced for the 150th anniversary celebrations: ONGAR 150, a history of the line from 1865 until 2015 in words and photos.

To find out more about the Epping Ongar Railway, see their website.

Photograph by Matthew Black from London, UK (GWR 4900 Class 4953 Pitchford Hall) [CC BY-SA 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons